Saturday, November 14, 2009

Pruning Winter Jasmine?

My landlord has given me a couple of flower beds to cultiviate. There's no garden as such, just concretre with the exeption of the flower beds flankng the external walls of my ground floor flat.


The beds have been consumed by a mass of ancient winter jasmine, can anyone tell me when I should prune, and how far I can cut it back without killing it? I really want to be brutal!

Pruning Winter Jasmine?
Jasminum nudiflorum is this your winter jasmine?? Flowers on old wood so prune immediately after blooms fade. to thin it out do basically that,thin it out , it needs to be encouraged to twine around something, be brutal but remember it wont flower for a while if you do and dont chop near the base or you,ll kill it as with all heavy pruning give your plant a feed and a drink...I'd leave some old wood(the woodyiest of stems)for some of the fragrance and blooms..if you do it , do it in spring
Reply:Jasminum (jasmine); should be pruned immediately after flowering, cut the jasmine hard in against the wall. It will not die from a hard pruning. Buy some summer flowering and let them mingle through each other. J. officinale will grow and spread to 5m or more, it has white flowers that are sweetly fragrant; J. parkeri which is again summer flowering with yellow flowers. Jasmine can be a very beautifully shrub/ climber when maintained properly.





Professional Gardner for 30 odd yrs.


No comments:

Post a Comment