Friday, May 14, 2010

How do I care for Asian Jasmine?

Help! I know a little less than nothing about plants. I just got a new place and the garden is covered in Asian Jasmine. I was wondering how often I needed to water it and if there was anything else I needed to do to ensure the garden keeps looking as beautiful as it does right now.





I don't know if this matters, but I live in Texas, so our summers are usually really hot and humid.





I would REALLY appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

How do I care for Asian Jasmine?
What part of Texas? I can grow the asian jasmine in the houston area and if the asian jasmine is well established just water it occassionally. There are several different types of asian jasmine and if it is the blooming variety then it is most likely a confederate star jasmine and not the asian jasmine. Lately all the rain we have had I haven't had to water mine for a couple of months. Typically I only water mine during the summer months and I water once every couple of weeks depending on rainfall, when I water I usually flood it so the water has an opportunity to sink down to all the roots.


I have asian jasmine growing in my backyard on my arbor and once it gets established you just have maintain it by either letting it twine up something or be a ground cover. If you let it climb up an object be sure to keep an eye on it because it is a fast climber and it will climb on anything that is nearby, and when it blooms it is a very sweet smelling jasmine. I live in texas too and my jasmine blooms around may usually around mother's day. The best thing about it is if you live in the warmer parts of texas, you don't have to worry about the plant in the winter, if we have a huge cold snap down in houston typically I just wrap the bottom of the plant to protect the roots, but I haven't had it die back or lost it to the winters down here in the last 6 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment