Sunday, April 26, 2009

Will planting Asiatic Jasmine for groundcover affect newly planted trees / bushes?

New to gardening! I just planted an Esperanza (Yellow Bell) plant as well as a Magnolia tree in my front yard. Both are about a year old and were previously in pots, each is about 3 feet tall. They seem to be doing okay (planted about 3 weeks ago). I have a very small front yard with 2 Mountain Laurel trees on one side and nothin on the other (aside from the baby Magnolia). I would like to plant Asiatic Jasmine as ground cover for the entire front yard, for water-saving purposes and to no longer have to mow.. and also because I cannot grow grass under the Mountain Laurels anyway.





My question is; if I plant the jasmine now, will it bother the newly planted tree and shrub? Do I need to set aside an area under the new plantings where the Jasmine will not go, with edging or something? I just don't want the Jasmine "competing" with the new transplants for water or whatever and I don't know enough about all this to know what to do at this point.

Will planting Asiatic Jasmine for groundcover affect newly planted trees / bushes?
It's usually not a good idea to plant anything under a newly planted tree or shrub. The watering needs are considerably different for trees and shrubs and for perennials and annuals. More than likely over watering of the tree will occur.


If you plant it, I would plant it away from the tree a bit. And monitor your watering very very closely.
Reply:I wouldn't worry about it. I can't say that I've had that exact combination of plants but ordinarily any new perennial takes a season to settle in before it really takes off. Since all your plants are new you'll have to be sure to keep up on water for them for this season anyway, as they get established. By next season the Magnolia and the Esperanza should be in good shape to defend themselves from the Jasmine. It sounds pretty. I've always wanted a mountain laurel. Some day . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment