Sunday, April 26, 2009

How does asian jasmine propagate?

I planted asian jasmine a couple months ago as a groundcover. I am now wondering how it spreads. I know that cuttings can be used to generate new plants, but does this plant species also spread by another method (i.e. seeds or something else)?


The reason I am asking is because I now have lots of little weed-like plants growing in the same area as I planted the jasmine. Normally, I would just assume they were weeds and pull them out. However, I have never seen weeds that look like these and they are not present anywhere else around my property. Also, I never saw these prior to planting the jasmine. Can these be seedlings? If they looked exactly the same as the jasmine, I would obviously think the answer was yes. However, the leaves look slightly different- these small plants have leaves with slightly rough edges, whereas the larger plants do not. Any ideas?

How does asian jasmine propagate?
Wherever the vine touches the ground, it can set roots. I'm not sure about Asian jasmine but, on some of my younger star jasmine some of the leaves have a different shape. Not that this has anything to do with jasmine, but, I notice on different trees, like some of my scrub oaks, first year growth is serrated, not smooth. So maybe your jasmine is the same. I would wait a few months to see what it is before you pull it.


No comments:

Post a Comment